Dr. Cantor Is Proudly Serving In Barrie, Ontario, & Simcoe County
Joanne Cantor is a Registered Psychotherapist, with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario, CRPO, and a full member with the Ontario Association of Mental Health Professionals, OAMHP. Her areas of expertise include both Narrative and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Joanne works as a therapist with individuals, couples, families, groups, and communities; with specialization in children, adolescents and young adults. She also provides career counseling and assessments, and maintains a private practice in Barrie, Ontario.
Joanne is an experienced therapist, career counselor, and educator with an extensive knowledge of psychology and psychometrics. She has been published in several scientific journals, and has many years working with a senior scientist, a highly qualified psychiatrist and other clinical professionals. As a graduate of the University of Toronto specializing in Psychology, Education and later Post Graduate work in Brief and Narrative Therapy, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, she is currently serving as private practitioner working with a broad spectrum of clients. Among her areas of expertise are Child and Adolescent Therapy. During the year Joanne volunteers her time to the World Life Institute, doing the 'Tree of Life' with both orphans, who are victims of war and natural disasters, and displaced women. The 'Tree of Life' is a hopeful and inspiring approach to working with children and adults who have experienced difficult times. This approach has enabled children and adults to speak about their lives in ways that do not retraumatize, but, in fact make them stronger. Instead it strengthens their relationships with their own history, their culture and significant people in their lives.
Her research in alcohol methodology began as poster presentation in Washington D.C., and later led to an invitation to publish in a prestigious scientific journal. After several publications in the field of alcohol research, Joanne ventured into a research based study on the effectiveness of a treatment facility, several research based papers in Education, and two papers in Narrative therapy.
Joanne's therapeutic approach is very respectful and collaborative, helping people to identify with their experiences in a more adaptive and healthy manner that transforms the effects problems have on your life. She integrates Narrative Therapy and Cognitive behavioral Therapy techniques, with a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, she works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
- Mental Health Care for Family Members of Post 911 Veterans: Practical Approaches to Addressing the Impact of the Invisible Wounds of War on Families, Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy.
- Motivational Interviewing: Engaging Service Members and Veterans into Mental Health Care, Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy.
- Using CBT with Children, Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy-Fundamental Skills Certificate Program, University of Toronto, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, OISE.
- Stories Well Beyond the Grave: Narrative Therapy, Grief and Ongoing Relationships.
- Narrative Therapy Centre of Toronto Certificate-Narrative Therapy with Children & Families.
- Narrative Therapy Centre of Toronto Certificate-4 Day Summer Narrative Therapy Intensive: Taking Narrative Ideas into Your Everyday Practice.
- University of Toronto Faculty of Social Work/Hincks-Delcrest Centre: Gail Appel Institute, Two Year Advanced Brief and Narrative Therapy Clinical Extern Training Program.
- York University, Guidance.
- University of Toronto, B.ED., Special Education-Gifted.
- University of Toronto, Hon.B.SC., Specialist in Psychology, B.ED.; Hon.B. Commerce & Finance program.
Registered Psychotherapist, College of Psychotherapists of Ontario, CRPO. Registered Psychotherapist, Ontario Association of Mental Health Professionals, OAMHP.
Certifications & Awards
Certificate in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy-Fundamental Skills, University of Toronto, Institute for Studies in Education, OISE. Certificate of Appreciation, World Life Institute, Project Life, for Extraordinary Service through the Tree of Life for orphans of Chechnya & Ingushetia, World Life Institute, Project Life: War Orphan Rehabilitation Program.
Narrative Therapy Centre of Toronto Certificate-Narrative Therapy with Children & Families.
Narrative Therapy Centre of Toronto Certificate-4 Day Summer Narrative Therapy Intensive: Taking Narrative Ideas into Your Everyday practice.
Advanced Two Year Brief and Narrative Clinical Extern Training program.
Research Publications, Studies & Papers
The Narrative Therapy ‘Tree of Life” An Overview and ‘Stand-Alone’ Efficacy, Faculty of Social Work University of Toronto, Brief Therapy Training Centres International, Hincks Delcrest Centre/Gail Appel Institute.
Problem Drinkers Perceptions of Whether Treatment Goals Should Be Self- Selected Or Therapist Selected, Behavioral Therapy.
Is Self-Monitoring of Alcohol Consumption Reactive? Behavioral Assessment.
Evaluation Treatment Program, Robert Thompson Youth & Family.
Should Goals For Alcohol Abusers In Outpatient Treatment Be Self-Selected Or Therapist Selected ? 23rd Annual Meeting Association For Advancement Of Behavioral Therapy, Washington, DC.
Investigating Patient Preferences In Setting Treatment Goals For Treatment Of Alcohol Problems, Research Study.
Quantity Frequency Procedure, Research Study. A Comparison Of Three Methods Of Self-reported Alcohol Consumption, Thesis Conference Presentation, London, Ontario.
Is Self-monitoring of Alcohol Consumption Reactive ? Association for Behavioral Therapy, Poster Presentation, Chicago.
Mind Mapping-Powerful Consolidation of Short-Term Memory into Long-Term Memory, York University.
A Comparison Between Two Instructional Math Strategies: Mind Mapping and Concept Mapping with Intermediate Students, York University.
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Dulwhich Centre Membership (Includes international Journal of Narrative Therapy and Community Work)
- Individual Supervision CBT with Psychiatrist
- World Life Institute, Project Life War Orphans Rehabilitation Program.Narrative Therapy Tree of Life Community Work
- Medscape Membership
- Medscape CME Education
- Palouse Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction-Online Program-Clients Depression & Anxiety
- Bounce Back-Online Program-Clients Depression& Anxiety
- Think Good Feel Good-CBT Program for Children with Depression and Anxiety
- Mind Over Mood CBT Program for Depression, Anxiety and Anger
- Brief Coping Cat Program for Children with Depression and Anxiety